Principal investigator: V. Viateau

Investigator: M. Manassero

Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears are one of the most common knee injuries: 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year in the United States only. The ACL is crucial for stabilizing the knee when turning or planting; and its tear results in knee laxity at the origin of arthritic deterioration of the knee, a long-term consequence observed in 85% of the patients. ACL reconstructive surgery improves patients’ quality of life, with QALY gain of 0.18. In 2010, 35,732 patients were treated surgically in France after ACL tear.

To date, autologous tendon transplants (meaning the tissue used is from the patient’s body) are the most commonly used ligament substitutes, with a success rate over 80%. The remaining 20%, however, show poor results and call for the improvement of ACL replacement, for which many challenges remain. Among these, the improvement of the incorporation and healing of the tendon autograft and the limitation of the morbidity associated with tendon harvesting by using synthetic ligament constitute important research topics for the B3OA.

Bone anchorage of artificial ligament

In this context, the B3OA is currently working on:

  • A better understanding of the “ligamentization” process of the autograft, by which the transplanted tendon changes to acquire a ligamentous structure;
  • The development of new synthetic ligaments and their transfer from basic research to veterinary clinic;
  • The improvement of the osseo-integration of the tendon autografts and synthetic substitutes.

Publications of the project

Viateau V, Manassero M, Anagnostou F, Guérard S, Mitton D, Migonney V. Biological and biomechanical evaluation of the ligament advanced reinforcement system (LARS AC) in a sheep model of anterior cruciate ligament replacement: a 3-month and 12-month study. Arthroscopy. 2013;29(6):1079-88. Link for the publication

Vaquette C, Viateau V, Guérard S, Anagnostou F, Manassero M, Castner DG, Migonney V. The effect of polystyrene sodium sulfonate grafting on polyethylene terephthalate artificial ligaments on in vitro mineralisation and in vivo bone tissue integration.  Biomaterials. 2013;34(29):7048-63. Link for the publication

A.Leroux, E.Maurice, V.Viateau, V.Migonney. Feasibility Study of the Elaboration of a Biodegradable and Bioactive Ligament Made of Poly(ε-caprolactone)-pNaSS Grafted Fibers for the Reconstruction of Anterior Cruciate Ligament: In Vivo Experiment. IRBM 40 (2019) 38–44. Link for the publication